Our mission and values
At Westminster Abbey, we see ourselves as a living symbol of faith at the heart of the nation. Our main purpose is to be a working inclusive church.
- To serve Almighty God by offering divine Worship daily and publicly;
- To serve the Sovereign by daily prayer and by a ready response to requests made by or on behalf of His Majesty;
- To serve the nation by celebrating the distinctive witness of the Christian faith; by upholding the place of religious faith within national life; and by active engagement with Parliament, Whitehall and others in positions of public service;
- To serve all pilgrims and visitors to the Abbey, and to maintain a tradition of hospitality.
As one we serve each other, our visitors and the wider world in all that do with:
Download our mission and values (PDF, 10.7MB)
Dean & Chapter is the overall governing body of the Abbey but there is also an Abbey Board that takes responsibility for setting strategies for the Abbey and overseeing their implementation.
Each year, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster offers the reigning monarch, as the Abbey’s Visitor, our annual report on the fulfilment of the mission of the Collegiate Church of St Peter in Westminster.
- The Dean of Westminster, the Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle
- Serving Almighty God and the Sovereign
- Serving the nation and Commonwealth
- Serving pilgrims and visitors
- Care and development of the Abbey collection and fabric
- Financial performance and risk management
- Management of the Abbey
- Members of Chapter, Officers & Advisers
- Westminster Abbey Annual Accounts
- Independent Auditor’s Report