Services & times
Celebrating St Edward, king and saint
During Edwardtide, we celebrate the life of St Edward the Confessor, the king and saint whose shrine lies at the heart of the Abbey. St Edward was canonised in 1161, and to this day pilgrims come to pray at his shrine.
Join us as we commemorate St Edward, king and confessor, in prayer and praise. Everyone is welcome and tickets are not required.
Thursday 12th October 2023
- 5.00pm – First Evensong of the Translation of St Edward the Confessor, sung by the Choirs of Westminster Abbey and Westminster Cathedral
Friday 13th October 2023
The Translation of St Edward the Confessor, 1163, 1269
- 5.00pm – Eucharist, sung by the Choir of Westminster Abbey
Saturday 14th October 2023
National Pilgrimage to the Shrine of St Edward the Confessor (see more information below), including:
- 11.30am - Festival Eucharist, Preacher: The Reverend Dr Mark Oakley
- 3.00pm - First Evensong of the Dedication of Westminster Abbey
Sunday 15th October 2023
Dedication of Westminster Abbey, 1269
- 10.30am - Sung Eucharist on the Dedication of Westminster Abbey
- 3.00pm - Evensong celebrating the Feast of the Dedication of Westminster Abbey in the presence of The Lord Mayor of Westminster and the Mayors of the London Boroughs
National Pilgrimage Day
Saturday 14th October
Our annual pilgrimage day gives you the opportunity to visit the Abbey and experience its beauty in an atmosphere characterised by prayer. The Abbey will be open, free of charge, from 9.30am – 4.00pm, and pilgrims will be invited to pray at the Shrine of St Edward and in other spaces set aside in the Abbey. Priests will be available for the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and a chapel will be set aside for the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.
In this Coronation year there will be a particular focus on calling, vocation and service, with pilgrims invited to reflect on Christ, the Servant King, whom St Edward served, and on opportunities for service and discerning vocation and calling in our own lives.
A reflection on the Shrine
In his sermon on the Feast of the Translation of St Edward the Confessor in 2022, the Reverend Robert Latham reflects on the significance of the Shrine's position at the heart of Westminster, and how the gospel teaches us that to lead is to serve.