The organs play a vital role in the Abbey’s life and worship. They support the singing of the Choir, help congregations to raise the roof in hymn-singing, create the atmosphere for services and delight audiences at concerts.
The grand organ is a fine five-manual Harrison & Harrison instrument, installed for the coronation of King George VI in 1937. You can hear it played at the daily choral services, the free weekly Sunday organ recitals, and at our annual Summer Organ Festival.
The Abbey is also home to the two-manual Queen's Organ (Mander, 2013), which can be found in the Lady Chapel where it is used principally for small-scale services such as weddings and memorials, as well as a five-stop continuo organ by Kenneth Tickell (1995) and a practice organ by William Drake (2017).
The Shrine of St Edward the Confessor is one of the most powerful features of the Abbey. To stand in the presence of a man who is both a saint and a monarch is awe-inspiring.