In 1925 the Dean and Chapter of Westminster set up a memorial chapel in Westminster Abbey, at the west end of the nave, for those who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. This was called the Holy Cross or Warriors Chapel (later re-dedicated to St George). The gilded bronze altar frontal in the chapel was the gift of the Mothers' Union as a "perpetual memorial to the sons and husbands who died". The £800 was collected in pennies from mothers all over the world.
In the centre of the frontal is a figure in relief of the Blessed Virgin Mary supporting the body of Christ, surrounded by a wreath of laurel and acanthus with four cherubs holding instruments of the Passion. Either side are figures of St Helen, holding the true Cross, and St Margaret holding the black rood of Scotland.
The frontal can be viewed through the gates of this chapel. As the chapel now houses the Coronation Chair it is not open to the public.
The Mothers' Union also presented the processional banner of St Peter used at the Abbey.
This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library
Image © 2023 Dean and Chapter of Westminster