William Page Wood, Baron Hatherley
William Page Wood, Baron Hatherley, Lord Chancellor, and his wife Charlotte once had stained glass windows in St Margaret's Church Westminster but these were destroyed by blast during the Second World War (both were by Messrs Clayton & Bell). Only brass memorial plaques below the site of the glass still remain. That to William is decorated with red and green enamel on the south wall of the church. This was made by Hart, Son, Peard & Co. In the top right hand corner is an enamelled achievement of arms. The inscription reads:
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of William Page, Baron Hatherley. Born Nov. 29 1801. Died July 10 1881. He was a good man. Acts XI. 26
That to his wife is plainer brass:
To the Glory of God and in memory of Charlotte wife of William Page, Baron Hatherley. Born Sep. 12 1805. Died in Christ Nov. 19 1878. This window is the gift of many friends who admired and fain would imitate The Brightness of her Hope, The Firmness of her Faith, The Fervancy of her Charity.
William was born in London a son of Sir Matthew Wood, sometime Lord Mayor of London, and his wife Maria Page. He was expelled from Winchester College for protesting against corporal punishment and continued his education in Geneva and Cambridge. He set up a law practice and in 1830 married Charlotte, daughter of Major Edward Moore and they resided in Dean's Yard in the precincts of Westminster Abbey. There were no children. He was appointed Lord Chancellor in 1868. They attended St Margaret's regularly. He died at his house in Great George Street Westminster and was buried at Great Bealings in Suffolk. His nephew was Sir Evelyn Wood and his niece Katherine Parnell.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004