Sir Walter Tapper
In the west cloister of Westminster Abbey is the grave of Sir Walter Tapper, architect. The inscription reads:
WALTER JOHN TAPPER K.C.V.O., R.A. 1861-1935 SURVEYOR TO THE FABRIC 1928-1935
The altar in the Lady Chapel at the Abbey was designed by him shortly before his death. The important work of cleaning and repairing this magnificent chapel was carried out under his direction. He also supervised the alterations in the Abbey Library and designed the new gallery above the roof of the east cloister to connect the Library with the Muniment Room (archive repository).
He was born at Bovey Tracey in Devon and moved to London to join the firm of Bodley and Garner. He set up his own practice in 1900 and restored and designed churches throughout the country. In 1886 he married Catherine Jotcham and they had a son Michael, also an architect, and a daughter Kathleen (who married S.Longsden). He served as President of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1927-1928.