Colonel John Meldrum of Cromwell's Parliamentary army died of wounds at Alresford in Hampshire at the battle of Brandon. He was buried in Westminster Abbey on 18th April 1644 in the chapel of St Andrew. He had been a Lieutenant in 1642 under William, Earl of Bedford and married Jane. Their son was Andrew and daughter was Jane. (He is not to be confused with Sir John Meldrum who died in 1645).
By Royal Warrant dated 9th September 1661 his body, and those of other followers of Cromwell, was removed from the Abbey and buried in a common pit in the churchyard of St Margaret's church, adjoining the Abbey. In 1966 a memorial to him and twenty others was carved on the wall of the tower of St Margaret's:
This tablet is erected by the Cromwell Association to the memory of the undermentioned whose remains were disinterred from Westminster Abbey at the time of the restoration of King Charles II and were in September 1661 buried in this churchyard of St Margaret's...
The names follow.