In the nave of Westminster Abbey is a joint memorial to Captain John Harvey and Captain John Hutt who were both mortally wounded in the naval victory off the coast of France in 1794. Hutt lost a leg and died of his wounds when he had arrived back at Spithead in England on 30th June but we don't know where he was buried. The memorial here was erected in 1804 and is by the sculptor John Bacon junior. It was originally floor-standing but was reduced in size only a few years after it was erected. The memorial is now on one of the window sills in the north nave aisle and consists of an urn on which are portrait busts of the two captains, with figures of Fame and Britannia with a large lion. The relief of the battle which was part of this monument is now on Capt.Harvey's memorial in the church at Eastry in Kent where he is buried.
The inscription reads:
Sacred to J.Harvey and J. Hutt, Captains of The Brunswick and The Queen, who fell gloriously in the memorable victory obtained off Brest on the first of June MDCCXCIV. This monument was erected at the Public expense as an honourable testimony of their meritorious services
Little is known about John but he served both in North America and the West Indies. He was appointed to his ship The Queen in 1793.