James Henry Monk

James Henry Monk, bishop and classical scholar, is buried in the north choir aisle of Westminster Abbey. The brass over his grave, set in black Galway marble, shows his figure dressed in mitre, rochet, chimere and bands holding a crozier topped with a lamb and flag between praying hands. Symbols of the four Evangelists appear at each corner, with a foliated cross on each side. Above the figure are shields of arms. The brass, designed by George Gilbert Scott junior and made by Hardmans of Birmingham, has suffered damage in the past and was cleaned and restored in 1998. The Latin inscription can be translated:

James Henry Monk S.T.P. Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol and for 26 years Canon of Westminster. Sometime Dean of Peterborough and for 14 years Regius Professor of Greek at Cambridge who died 6 June 1856 in the 26th year of his bishopric aged 74. He rests here in peace and in hope of blessed Resurrection

He was born on 12th December 1784, the only son of Charles, army officer, and his wife. He was educated at Norwich, Charterhouse and Cambridge and ordained priest in 1810. By his wife Jane Smart (nee Hughes) he had a son Charles James who became a Member of Parliament, and three daughters Mary, Jane and Penelope. He was Dean of Peterborough 1822-1830 and Canon of Westminster from 1830 to his death and was the last clergyman of the Abbey to wear a white wig.

Further reading

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography

Born

12th December 1784

Died

6th June 1856

Occupation

Priest/Minister

Location

North Choir Aisle

Memorial Type

Grave

Material Type

Marble; brass

James Henry Monk
James Henry Monk

Richard Buckner [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

James Henry Monk
James Henry Monk memorial

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2021 Dean and Chapter of Westminster