Edward Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury
Edward Talbot, 8th Earl of Shrewsbury, was buried in St Edmund's chapel in Westminster Abbey. He was baptised in Sheffield on 25th February 1561, the third son of George, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury by his first wife Lady Gertrude Manners. His brothers were Gilbert and Henry. He was educated at Oxford and then travelled abroad. In 1583 he married Jane, daughter and co-heir of Cuthbert, 7th Lord Ogle and his wife Catherine (Carnaby). In 1616 he succeeded his brother Gilbert as 8th Earl of Shrewsbury. Edward was Member of Parliament for Northumberland and member of the Council of Wales. He died in 1618 (according to New Style dating) and was buried in St Edmund's chapel. in Westminster Abbey. He was succeeded by his cousin George.
Jane erected a large monument for him, which is by the sculptor William Wright.
The monument is made of alabaster and marble and was repainted in the 1960s. The Latin inscription can be translated:
Sacred to the memory of Edward of the noble family of Talbots, the eighth Earl of Shrewsbury, Wexford and Waterford, Lord Talbot, Comin de Badenhagh [Badenoch], Valence, Montchency, Strange de Blackmere, Gifford de Brimesfield, Clifford de Corsham, Furneval, Verdon and Lovetoft. A person every way equal to his titles, of such sincere, just and yet obliging disposition, that the greatness of his dignities took not from them the honour. He was no less remarkable for his descent and family, than for his piety and purity of life; nor was he tainted with any of those vices to which great men are too frequently addicted. He was honourable without pride, potent without ostentation, religious without superstition, munificent, both in his mind, and with his hand, warded always against fortune. His whole life was a path of justice; and his innocence escaping envy, continued through the whole course of his life. Lastly, certain of future fame by a good conscience, while he lived, he now enjoys it, and with it an unsullied character, and rest, after the troubles of life. Of which that she might be the sharer, is the desire of his afflicted wife, Jane Cuthbert, eldest daughter of the Baron Ogle, who being drowned in tears, hath out of pious regard, erected this monument. He died 8 February 1617, in the 57th year of his age. Here lieth likewise the Lady Jane Countess of Shrewsbury, widow of the before-mentioned Earl of Shrewsbury, interred near the same monument.
Jane was buried on 7th January 1626 (New Style dating). His effigy is in armour, with a talbot (a medieval hunting dog) at his feet. Jane wears an ermine lined red mantle, with a griffin at her feet. A kneeling figure of a child, dressed in blue, is also shown on the monument (they had one son who predeceased his father so this is probably him although dressed as a girl, which was usual for small children at this period. There is no record of their having a daughter).
The recess is ornamented with thirteen shields of arms connected with the family, with names underneath. From left clockwise these show the Earl's ancestors: Talbot impaling Neville, Ormond, Buckingham, Hastings, Dacre, and Manners, the arms of Talbot and Ogle together, and Jane's ancestors: Ogle impaling Carnaby, Radcliffe, Lumley, Gascoyne, Hilton and Kirkeby. The Ogle arms are: "argent, a fess between three crescents gules" (a silver shield with a red bar across the centre with three red crescents). The Talbot arms are: "gules a lion rampant or, a border engrailed of the last" (a red shield with a gold lion and gold border). At the top of the monument is a large achievement of arms, with two talbot supporters and the motto Prest d'accomplir (ready to accomplish). The monument was repainted and missing hands replaced during the late 1950s cleaning of the Abbey.
A drawing for the monument is kept at the College of Arms in London. This shows the kneeling figure of the child, looking more like a boy, and kneeling at the head of his father's effigy.
The Booke of Monuments reconsidered: Maximilian Colt and William Wright by Adam White in Church Monuments vol. IX. 1994
8th February 1618