On 14th June 1926 a stained glass window, designed by Sir J. Ninian Comper, was unveiled in the north choir aisle of Westminster Abbey to remember all British prisoners of war in Germany who died during the First World War. It was presented by James Gerard, US Ambassador in Berlin and the inscription reads:
In memory of British Prisoners of War who died in Germany 1914-1918. A tribute from the American Ambassador in Berlin 1914-1917
At the head of the window is the red rose of the house of Lancaster, with the shields of France and England and those of his two foundations, Eton and King's College, Cambridge. In the borders beside each large figure are twelve statuettes of members of his family, Our Lady, St Nicholas and St Louis, and sixteen coats of arms. These include the shields of Cardinal Beaufort and Joan of Arc. Also depicted are the King's badge, the spotted leopard, and the battle cry "Dieu et mon droit", which Henry VI was the first to assume as a regular motto. Above Henry's figure, whose face was modelled on that of the Russian dancer Nijinsky, is a scene showing him asleep in the Tower of London with angels above his head holding a model of the chapel which Henry VII had intended to build in his memory. Above the Abbot's figure is a scene showing the king instructing a mason (holding a pickaxe) to mark out a place for his tomb beside the Shrine of St Edward the Confessor. Actually Henry was not buried in the Abbey in the end but at Windsor. At the base is shown the American eagle and coat of arms with the arms of the United Kingdom. Also the shields of Newfoundland, India, Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.