A stone on the north-west tower of Westminster Abbey records the generous help the family of Garry Howard Weston have given in enabling the restoration of the Abbey to be carried out. The inscription reads:
This stone records with gratitude the contribution made by the Weston family to the restoration of this Abbey Church + 1973 to 1993
The initials G.W. also appear in the west window of the Lady Chapel, as a donor (lower section, flanking the arms of Lord Templeton). This was designed by John Lawson and unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II in 1995, at the completion of the restoration of this chapel.
The Garfield Weston Foundation also helped fund the conversion of the Cellarium area of 20 Dean's Yard into a cafe complex in 2012.
The new access tower to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries, opened in 2018, has been named the Weston Tower in recognition of the exceptional generosity of the Foundation towards funding of the new exhibition area in the Abbey triforium. A small donor window can be seen there.
The Westminster Abbey Trust was formed in 1973, under the Chairmanship of HRH Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in order to raise the millions of pounds necessary for the restoration of the decayed exterior of the church and one of the final parts of this programme was the restoration of the famous western towers.
Mr Weston was born on 28th April 1927, son of Canadian industrialist and philanthropist (Willard) Garfield Weston (d.1978). Garry followed his father into the bakery business and was Chairman of Associated British Foods. A great patron of the arts he also gave generously to the British Museum and many hospitals and schools. His wife was Mary Kippenberger. He died on 15th February 2002 and a memorial service for him was held in the Abbey on 24th May. His sons George and Guy and daughter Jana gave readings.