In the north aisle of the nave of Westminster Abbey is a memorial to Major General Stringer Lawrence. The monument, of white and coloured marble, is signed by sculptor W. Tyler. On a pedestal is a bust in armour and below it a medal inscribed:
Born March 6, 1697; died January 10, 1775.
To the left a figure of Fame holds a shield lettered:
For Discipline established, Fortresses Protected, Settlements Extended, French and Indian Armies Defeated, and Peace Concluded in the Carnatic.
On the right is the female figure representing the East India Company, seated on a bale. She points to the bust of Lawrence and has at her feet various French and Indian flags. A shield of arms is shown on the front of the pedestal (ermine, a cross raguled argent). In front is a relief perspective of the city and an encampment, lettered 'Tritchinopoly'. Lawrence defended this town against the French from May 1753 to October 1754. The inscription reads:
Erected by the East India Company to the memory of Major General Stringer Lawrence in testimony of their gratitude for his eminent services in the command of their forces on the coast of Coromandel from the year MDCCXLVI to the year MDCCLXVI.
He was born in Hereford, son of John Lawrence and his wife Mary. He served as a marine under Admiral Wager and afterwards served under General Wade in Flanders and Scotland. Appointed Major General of the East India Company's forces in 1747, he helped, by a brilliant series of campaigns, to lay the foundations of their trading empire in India. In 1766 he finally left India and lived at Haldon House in Devon with the Palk family. He was buried at Dunchideock near Exeter.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004
6th March 1697
10th January 1775
This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library
Image © 2018 Dean and Chapter of Westminster