Humphrey Mackworth, a colonel in Cromwell's Parliamentary army, was buried in a vault in Henry VII's chapel in Westminster Abbey on 26th December 1654. But his remains were exhumed by Royal Warrant dated 9th September 1661, along with other followers of Cromwell, and buried in a pit in the churchyard of St Margaret's Westminster. His name and date of burial were cut on a stone over his one-time burial place in the 19th century and on 16th December 1966 an inscription on the west wall of the tower of St Margaret's was unveiled:
"This tablet is erected by the Cromwell Association to the memory of the undermentioned whose remains were disinterred from Westminster Abbey at the time of the restoration of King Charles II and were in September 1661 buried in this churchyard of St Margaret's"
The 21 names then follow, including Mackworth.
He was a son of Richard Mackworth of Shropshire, governor of Shrewsbury and a member of Cromwell's second Parliament and one of his council. He married firstly in 1623 Anne Waller and secondly Mary Venables. His son was Thomas.
© The Dean and Chapter of Westminster