On the north wall of St Margaret's church Westminster is a monument to Robert Stewart from Scotland. This was designed by James Gibbs and is attributed to sculptor Andrew Carpenter. It consists of a medallion head with two cherubs above the inscription panel and three cherub heads below. The inscription reads:
Here lyes Robert Stewart Esqr. descended of ye honourable family of the Earls of Bute in Scotland, who after a liberal education in ye college of Edinburgh apply'd himself to the study of the English laws with success: His first wife was Mary Spire, daughter of William Spire Esqr., leaving one daughter, Mary, now alive: and afterwards married Elizabeth Lawrence, daughter of John Lawrence Esqr. by whom he had one daughter here interr'd with him; he dyed ye 7th of June 1714. In loving memory Elizabeth erected this monument.
The coat of arms, which included the Bute arms, have now gone. The burial register calls him Colonel and he was buried on 9th June on the north side of the chancel.
His will is at The National Archives, Kew, Surrey