In the Nurses' War Memorial chapel in the upper part of Abbot Islip's chapel in Westminster Abbey is a table given in memory of J. Elise Gordon. This holds the casket in which the Roll of Honour for United Kingdom and Commonwealth nurses who died in the 1939-45 war is contained. A small brass strip on the table reads:
"To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of Elise Gordon 1903-1977"
The chapel was opened on November 2nd 1950. Elise Gordon was editor of the Nursing Times which paid all the administrative expenses of the British Commonwealth and Empire Nurses War Memorial Fund for setting up the chapel.