Alan Campbell Don K.C.V.O. was Dean of Westminster from 1946 to 1959 and his ashes are buried in the nave of Westminster Abbey. He was born at Broughty Ferry in Scotland on 3rd January 1885, a son of Robert Don and Lucy (Campbell). His brother was Air Vice Marshal Francis Don. He was educated at Rugby school, Oxford, and Cuddesdon college and was ordained priest in 1913. In 1914 he married Muriel Gwenda McConnell who was born on 20th August 1888 and died on 5th December 1963 and is buried in the Abbey. They had no children. Don held the posts of Provost of Dundee cathedral 1921-31, chaplain to Archbishop Lang 1931-41, Canon and Sub-Dean of Westminster and rector of St Margaret's Westminster 1941-46. He was also a chaplain to George VI and Elizabeth II and to the Speaker of the House of Commons. At the coronation in 1953 he assisted the Archbishop of Canterbury and in the same year launched a major appeal for funds for the restoration of the Abbey. The Deanery was rebuilt after war damage and a stained glass window in the hall of Cheyneygates was installed which reflected his wife's love of flowers and ballet. In the lower Islip chapel he also gave a stained glass window in thanksgiving for the preservation of the Abbey and St Margaret's from major war damage. This depicts St Margaret and includes his coat of arms: "vert, a rose argent, on a chief engrailed two mascles sable, in the chief point a crescent gules for difference". Both of the stained glass windows were designed by Hugh Easton. Although he was knighted clergymen do not take the title Sir. He died on 3rd May 1966. The stone has a Latin inscription which can be translated:
Alan Campbell Don, Dean 1946-1959. Holy, assiduous, to none not amiable, he greatly loved, embellished and cared for this Church
His diary is at Lambeth Palace Library. Extracts published with permission in The Westminster Abbey Chorister Winter 2007 and following editions.