A white marble memorial to George Nathaniel, Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, K.G., GCSI, GCIE, statesman and writer, was unveiled in the south aisle of Henry VII's chapel in Westminster Abbey on 26th November 1930 by the Archbishop of Canterbury. This is by sculptor Sir Bertram Mackennel and shows a portrait relief, the crest of a popinjay and a shield of the arms of Oxford University. The Latin inscription can be translated:
To the greater glory of God, and in pious memory of George Nathaniel, Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Garter, an indefatigable and eloquent man, devoted to the liberal arts: who, as long as he lived, gave his whole self to his country and his fellow citizens, with the utmost loyalty and the utmost diligence, both at home and in India. His surviving friends saw to the erection of this marble. He fell asleep in Christ on the 20th day of March, year of salvation 1925 in the 67th year of his age. "Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity.
He was born on 11th January 1859 at Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, a child of the Reverend Alfred Curzon, 4th Baron Scarsdale, and his wife Blanche (Pocklington). The family was of Norman origin. After education at Eton and Oxford he travelled and explored widely in Russia, Asia and the Far East. He wrote books about his travels. In 1895 he married American Mary Victoria Leiter and they had three daughters Irene, Cynthia and Alexandra. He was under Secretary of State in India and Viceroy there from 1899-1905, secretary of state for foreign affairs, Chancellor of Oxford University and Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. In 1911 he was created an Earl and was in Lloyd George's wartime cabinet from 1916. He married secondly widow Grace Duggan. All four of his stately homes ie. Kedleston, Montacute, Bodiam Castle and Tattershall Castle are now owned by the National Trust. His funeral was held at the Abbey and he was buried with his wife at Kedleston.
"Curzon" by D. Gilmour, 1994
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004
11th January 1859
20th March 1925
26th November 1930