Ralph Selby

Ralph Selby, a learned monk in the Benedictine Westminster Abbey, died in 1420 and was buried in the south ambulatory beneath a stone which formerly had a brass. This was between King Sebert's tomb and the monument of Cardinal Langham (west end of the ambulatory).

He was a favourite of both Henry IV and Henry V. In 1385 he was prebendary of Driffield in Yorkshire becoming sub-dean there in 1387 and was archdeacon of Buckingham and of Norfolk. In 1398 he came to Westminster and died on 29th September.

Occupation

Priest/Minister

Location

South Ambulatory

Memorial Type

Grave

Ralph Selby
South Ambulatory

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2022 Dean and Chapter of Westminster