Henrietta Laura Pulteney, Countess of Bath

Henrietta Laura Pulteney, Countess of Bath was buried in the south cloister of Westminster Abbey on 23rd July 1808 near the grave of her father. Her coffin lies under the large marble stone traditionally known as Long Meg of Westminster (after a legendary giantess). When the stone was lifted in 1972 for replacement her coffin was seen. Her name is not inscribed on the stone however nor does she have a monument. She was the only daughter and heir of Sir William Johnstone, who later called himself Sir William Pulteney, 5th Baronet of Westerhall and his wife Frances, sole heir of Daniel Pulteney. She was born on 6th December 1766 and married in 1794 Sir James Murray, 7th Baronet of Clermont in Fife, a general in the army. After succeeding to the vast Bath estates she was created Baroness Bath in 1792 and Countess in 1803. She died in Brighton and was buried from her house in Piccadilly. As she had no children the title became extinct.

Further reading

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004

Born

6th December 1766

Buried

23rd July 1808

Location

South Cloister

Henrietta Laura Pulteney, Countess of Bath
South Cloister

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2022 Dean and Chapter of Westminster