George W. Childs
George William Childs of Philadelphia USA donated a stained glass window to religious poets George Herbert and William Cowper in St George's chapel in Westminster Abbey. The gift came about when Arthur Stanley, Dean of Westminster, visited Mr and Mrs Childs at their "House Beautiful" on his American trip and expressed regret that the two poets had no memorial in the Abbey. Childs immediately expressed his willingness to provide one and the glass was made by Clayton & Bell. Below the window is an inscription in Latin which can be translated:
Given by George William Childs, American citizen, 1876
He also donated the memorial window to poet John Milton in St Margaret's Church Westminster. This came about after a request from the Rector, Archdeacon Farrar. It was unveiled in 1888 and the service was attended by Robert Browning and Matthew Arnold.
"The story of the memorial fountain to Shakespeare at Stratford. Also accounts of the Herbert and Cowper window in Westminster Abbey and the Milton window in St Margaret's...gifts of G.W. Childs" edited by L. Clarke Davis, 1890