Walter H. Annenberg

Walter H. Annenberg was a major donor to the Westminster Abbey Restoration Appeal and especially to the restoration of the chapel of Henry VII, completed in 1995. In the same year a small stained glass window to him was unveiled in the south east apsidal chapel. The designers were Alfred Fisher and Peter Archer. His window shows the American eagle and coat of arms with various insignia of office and the Annenberg coat of arms. The inscription reads:

Walter H. Annenberg Ambassador to the Court of St James' 1969-1974

The words "For the sacred cause of Justice" appear below his name.

Walter Hubert Annenberg was born in Milwaukee USA on 13th March 1908, a son of Moses, who had arrived in America from Prussia and made his fortune in the newspaper business. Walter followed in his father's footsteps and was one of the richest, and most philanthropic, men in America. President Nixon appointed him Ambassador to the United Kingdom and he was made an Honorary Knight of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II. He was also a contributor to the Appeal for the restoration of St Margaret's Westminster and his name appears on a plaque there, with other American donors. A benefactor to many British institutions his Annenberg School Press also published a volume entitled "Westminster Abbey" in 1972 with chapters written by eminent historians. He said he found the Abbey "a sanctuary of peace and comfort". His first wife was Veronica Dunkelman and they had a son and daughter, and his second wife was Leonore Rosenstiel. He died on 1st October 2002.

Born

13th March 1908

Died

1st October 2002

Occupation

Philanthropist

Location

Lady Chapel

Memorial Type

Window

Material Type

Glass

Walter H. Annenberg
Walter H. Annenberg donor window

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2022 Dean and Chapter of Westminster

Walter H. Annenberg
United States Donors plaque

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2022 Dean and Chapter of Westminster