Colen Campbell, architect, was buried in the south cloister of Westminster Abbey on 13th September 1729 but he never seems to have had an inscribed gravestone and he has no monument. He was a son of Donald, laird of Boghole and Urchany in Scotland, and his wife Elizabeth (Innes). His sister was Henrietta (Grant). After training as a lawyer he moved to England to become an architect. He was commissioned to build Wanstead House in Essex and other works were Houghton Hall in Norfolk, the house for the Master of the Rolls in London, and, possibly, Kensington palace. The book Vitruvius Britannicus, to which he contributed, helped to shape classical architecture in Britain. Colen also worked on Burlington House, Piccadilly and was architect to the Prince of Wales. After Vanburgh's death he became Surveyor of Greenwich Hospital. His liason with Jane Bubb did not apparently produce any children.
"The architecture of Colen Campbell" by H.E. Stutchbury, 1967
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004
"The history of the King's works" vol.V, edited by H.M. Colvin, 1976
This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library
Image © 2023 Dean and Chapter of Westminster