Join the Abbey Association
Terms and conditions
These are the terms and conditions applicable to Westminster Abbey Association. In these terms “we” or Westminster Abbey refers to The Dean and Chapter of the Collegiate Church of St Peter Westminster and its associated organisations, trusts and companies.
On applying to become a member of Westminster Abbey Association you are automatically agreeing to these terms and conditions and you are providing us with the appropriate consent to handle your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
1. Association membership
- Membership is valid from the date of purchase and expires the last day of the month you join, the following year. The expiry date of your membership is printed on the reverse of your membership card.
- Membership is for the personal use of the named card holder only and is non-transferrable. The membership card is not to be used for commercial purposes. We reserve the right to request proof of identity.
- You may not postpone the start date of your membership.
- Once your membership starts it is valid for 12 consecutive months. We are under no obligation to offer a refund or extension of your membership should you be unable to use your membership at any stage during this time.
- Associate and Guest members receive one card and subject to 13 (i) may bring one guest with them when they visit the Abbey and to Associates' events. This guest does not need to reside at the same address and the Associate can bring anyone as a guest with them.
- The Joint Associate membership is for two people living at the same address. Both Associates receive a named membership card and may avail themselves of the membership benefits.
- The Family Associate membership is for two people and up to 4 children aged 6 to 16 years old living at the same address. Both Associates receive a named membership card and may avail of the membership benefits. We reserve the right to request proof of age from children included in the Family Associate membership.
- As an Associate you will receive from us
- communications such as your membership pack, the Dean's Newsletter, and details about membership renewal by post only; and
- invites and notifications about Association events, news and services by e-mail only.
2. Membership card
- The membership card is for the named card holder only and is non-transferrable. You must present your membership card on arrival at the Abbey. Proof of identity may be required.
- Replacement membership cards will be issued free of charge at the North door tickets desk. You may also telephone or email the membership office to request a replacement card. Your replacement card will be posted to you within 5 working days after the membership office receives your request. Associates may be required to provide proof of identity before a replacement card is issued.
3. Membership payment
- All quoted fees are for an annual membership subscription.
- We reserve the right to increase the price of the membership subscription on an annual basis. You will be informed of any price changes within your membership renewal notification.
4. Debit Card or Credit Card Payments
- The debit or credit card information you provide us for a membership application is used solely for the purpose of processing that transaction. If we are unable to process payment from the debit or credit card details you have provided we will contact you immediately to verify your card detail. If we are still unable to obtain payment authorisation from the issuer of your debit or credit card and a membership card has already been issued to you, we will request you return the card and forgo any benefits.
- We strongly advise you not to send us any debit card or credit card information via email. It is contrary to the rules of the Payment Card Industry (PCI) for us to accept such payments by email and Westminster Abbey will not accept payment by this means.
- If you are not using your own debit or credit card to pay for the membership payment, you must ask permission of the debit or credit card holder before submitting payment details. When you subscribe to membership of the Association, whether verbally or by post, you are confirming that you have obtained the express prior permission of the debit or credit card holder.
5. Direct Debit
- Membership by Direct Debit entitles you to a £10.00 reduction on the annual cost of a membership. The discount applies to each year of membership when you pay by Direct Debit.
- The £10.00 discount may not be used in conjunction with any other membership offer.
- Ticket upgrade is not available by Direct Debit.
- Membership by Direct Debit is available online only. You must have a UK bank account and an email address to set up a Direct Debit with the Abbey. The UK bank account must belong to the purchaser of the membership.
- Westminster Abbey is working with a third party, GoCardless Ltd, to process Direct Debits on behalf of the Abbey.
- GoCardless Ltd is authorised by Westminster Abbey to process Direct Debits on its behalf.
- GoCardless Ltd is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Payment Services Regulations 2009, registration number 597190, for the provision of payment services.
- You are fully protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee when agreeing to pay for membership by Direct Debit. You can cancel your Direct Debit at any time by contacting GoCardless or your bank.
- You will not be able to avail of the membership benefits until you have received your printed membership card which contains a unique barcode.
- Membership by Direct Debit will renew automatically each year. A renewal notice will be sent to you in advance of payment being collected.
6. Association benefits
- Westminster Abbey Association benefits include:
- Free entry to Westminster Abbey during opening times as published on the Westminster Abbey website. Please note that from time to time, the Abbey is closed for periods due to special services or other occasions.
- Fast track admission (1)
- Discounts in the Cellarium Café and the Westminster Abbey shop (2)
- Associates' events
- Priority notification of public events and services by email
- The Association e-newsletter
- The Dean's Christmas letter
- Entry into a ballot for tickets to the Abbey's Christmas services on either the evening of 23rd or 24th December each year (3)
- Free access to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries (4)
- We reserve the right to change the benefits that apply to membership at any time and without prior notice. Where possible, Associates will be notified by email.
- Associates must present their membership card to avail themselves of the discount benefit in the Abbey Shop and Cellarium Café. If they are unable to present their membership card, the discount cannot be applied and will not be applied retrospectively.
(1) Fast track admission is available to Association members visiting the Abbey during our visitor opening times (please check Prices & entry times for up to date information on entry times). Our fast track entrance is accessed via the West Gate of our North Green and is available following a security check, which applies to all visitors. Fast track entry is not available at any other entry point to the Abbey and it does not apply to queues or admission to any of our services.
(2) 10% discount in the Westminster Abbey Shop refers to purchases made in the onsite and online shops. It does not apply to all items (please ask staff for current exclusions at time of purchase). Please refer to your membership pack welcome letter for details on how to receive the discount for the online shop. Shop discount applies to card holder only.
(3) All Associates with a valid membership will be entered into an exclusive Associate ballot for tickets to a Christmas Service of Lessons and Carols on either the 23rd or 24th December each year. Tickets are free. The winners will be selected at random by the Membership Manager and notified by email or telephone
(4) Access to the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries is restricted by a limited capacity. If capacity has been reached on the day of your visit, members will have access to the next available time slot. However in some instances access may be denied due to capacity limitations.
7. Visiting the Abbey
- Membership allows the named card holder free, unlimited entry to Westminster Abbey. Individuals with an Associate and Guest membership may bring one guest free of charge when they visit the Abbey.
- Membership is for personal use only. We monitor membership card usage and should we suspect that the membership card is being misused for commercial or fraudulent purposes, membership may be revoked and the individual barred from the Association.
- We reserve the right to request proof of identity from Associates visiting the Abbey. If an individual is unable to prove that the membership card belongs to them, we reserve the right to confiscate the membership card and deny entry to the Abbey.
- We reserve the right to close the Abbey to public access without prior notice. Where possible, any changes to normal entry times will be published on the Abbey website. We recommend checking the Abbey website opening times prior to your visit.
8. Gift membership
- Gift memberships can be purchased in person at the Association desk (credit/debit card or cash), by downloading a form from the website and posting it to the membership office (credit/debit card/cheque), or by telephoning the membership office on 020 7654 4843 (credit/debit card). It is not possible to purchase a Gift Membership with Direct Debit.
- Gift membership vouchers are non-refundable. We are under no obligation to refund unwanted gift membership vouchers.
- The purchaser will be issued a gift voucher to present to the recipient. This voucher must be exchanged by the recipient for a membership pack within six months from the date printed on the voucher. A gift membership vouchers can only be redeemed for a membership pack in person at the Association desk.
- The membership year starts from the date the voucher is redeemed by the recipient. Once membership starts it is valid for 12 consecutive months. We do not to offer a refund or extension of your membership should you be unable to use your membership at any stage during this time.
- We do not replace lost or misplaced gift membership vouchers. Please ensure that you keep your voucher safe.
- Membership events held at Westminster Abbey are exclusive to Associates. These events may have limited capacity and membership does not always guarantee entry to an event. In cases where there is limited capacity, places will be issued on a first come first served basis or via a ballot system.
- The Abbey reserves the right to cancel or rearrange an organised event. We will endeavour to ensure that event information is kept current and up to date.
- Some events may incur a small charge in addition to the annual membership fee.
- Associates do not access to special invite-only services held at Westminster Abbey.
10. Membership renewal
- If you paid for your membership by credit/debit card or cash, we will contact you approximately 12 weeks in advance of your membership expiry to explain what steps you will need to take to renew your membership.
- If you paid for your membership by Direct Debit, your membership will renew automatically. We will contact you from approximately 4-2 weeks before payment is due to be collected to remind you of the renewal date and the amount.
11. Upgrading your ticket for membership
- The option to upgrade a standard Westminster Abbey full price entrance ticket to membership of the Association is valid for 36 hours after your visit.
- To upgrade your entrance ticket, visit the tickets desk or post your ticket to the membership office.
- The cost of your entrance ticket will be deducted from the cost of the membership.
- Only one entrance ticket per upgrade is permitted.
- Gallery tickets are not included in an upgrade.
12. Upgrading your membership
- You can upgrade your membership at any point in the twelve months of your membership subscription. The cost of the upgrade is the difference in the price of the two memberships.
- As upgrades run in tandem with your membership year and expire in line with your membership year, we do not advise upgrading your membership if there is less than one month remaining on your membership.
- Membership downgrades are only permitted at the point of renewal.
13. Refunds and right to cancel
- We are under no obligation to offer a refund on membership once purchased.
- As a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel your membership application if you change your mind or decide for any other reason that you do not want to continue with the membership.
Your legal right to cancel your membership starts from the date that your credit/debit card or cash membership payment is processed and your details are entered onto the membership database. Your deadline for cancelling the application is 14 days after this date. We will confirm your membership start date on request.
To cancel your membership, you are required to contact the membership office and confirm your cancellation in writing by post or by email.
If you cancel your membership in accordance with your consumer rights, you will be refunded the price you paid for the membership. Please note that if you have visited the Abbey for free as an Associate within this 14 day window, the equivalent cost of the ticket(s) you have used will be deducted from your refund.
14. Data protection
- When you apply for membership of the Association (and throughout the course of your membership) it will be necessary for us to obtain from you certain information (such as your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, etc.) which will be treated by us as 'personal data' for the purposes of data protection law. We will process your personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, the Abbey's Privacy/data protection policy and as otherwise permitted or required by law.
- Your personal data will be used to contact you with membership communications. Communications by post and e-mail form part of the Membership benefits you have purchased, but you can request not to receive these communications by email or telephone by contacting the membership office. Please see section 16 for details. Your contact details may also be used, if necessary, in accordance with UK Government Test & Trace guidelines or any other legal requirement.
- You can unsubscribe from receiving membership emails by clicking on the 'Unsubscribe' link at the footer of all emails or by contacting the membership office by email or telephone.
iv. We may disclose information about you to any Westminster Abbey employees, officers or agents insofar as that is reasonably necessary for the purposes set out in these terms and conditions. Otherwise, we will not pass your personal data to third parties without your prior consent.
- You may instruct us to provide you with a copy of any personal information we hold about you. Any individual wishing to access their personal information should put their request in writing, using the contact details set out below. We should be informed if any personal information that we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.
15. Further conditions
- We reserve the right to refuse any application for membership howsoever made and/or entry and/or to revoke membership without refund if an Associate behaves in a threatening or abusive manner towards any person at Westminster Abbey, or damages any of the contents, fabric or property of Westminster Abbey. We also reserve right to refuse entry to any guest accompanying a member.
- We reserve the right to revoke your membership at any time, without financial compensation, if you breach any of these terms.
- Force Majeure – For the purposes of these Terms and Conditions, Force Majeure Event means an event beyond the reasonable control of Westminster Abbey including but not limited to strikes, failure of a utility service or transport network, act of God, war, riot, civil commotion, malicious damage, compliance with any law or governmental order, the holding of a state or other royal occasion, rule, regulation or direction, accident, breakdown of plant or machinery, fire, flood, storm or default of suppliers or subcontractors. Westminster Abbey shall not be liable to you as a result of any delay or failure to perform its obligations under these Terms and Conditions as a result of a Force Majeure Event.
- Liability - Westminster Abbey's liability to you is limited to refunding the price of membership of the Association. Westminster Abbey is not responsible to you to any greater extent and in particular is not liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss (including without limitation financial loss such as loss of profit, loss of expenses or otherwise) that you may incur as a consequence of its failure to comply with these Terms and Conditions. This clause does not operate to exclude or limit Westminster Abbey’s liability in respect of death or personal injury caused by its negligence or caused by its fraud.
- We reserve the right to amend these terms at any time.
- These terms and conditions together with your application for Westminster Abbey Association membership set out the entirety of our agreement relating to the supply of Westminster Abbey Association membership services by us to you. Nothing said by any sales person or member of our Visitor Experience/Association team on our behalf should be understood as a variation of these terms and conditions or as a representation about the nature and quality of the services being offered by us.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales
- If a court or any other competent authority finds that any provision of the Terms and Conditions (or part of any provision) is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that provision or part-provision shall, to the extent required, be deemed deleted, and the validity and enforceability of the other Terms shall not be affected
To contact the membership office, please use the details below. We will respond to your query within five working days:
Westminster Abbey Association
The Chapter Office
20 Dean's Yard
020 7654 4843
The membership office is open Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm (excluding public holidays).