James Broughton

James Broughton and his wife Rebecca are buried in the east cloister of Westminster Abbey. On the wall beside Daniel Pulteney's large monument is a white marble cartouche with winged demi-angels either side, with skulls. The inscription reads:

To the memory of dear Rebecca the wife of James Broughton who departed this life ye 8th of Oct. 1699 in ye 47th year of her age and lies interred under ye stone near this place. Near this place also lies the body of the above said Mr James Broughton Deputy Surveyor of this Abbey. He died the 31st of January 1710 aged 63.

The date of death is given in Old Style dating, now called 1711. The coat of arms shown is "Two bars, on a canton a cross" for Broughton, impaling "a lion rampant".

James succeeded Robert Hooke as Surveyor to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster and served from 1697-1711. In March 1699 he was appointed deputy, or under surveyor, to Sir Christopher Wren, the Abbey's Surveyor of the Fabric. Repairs to the north front were being undertaken at this time with money supplied by Parliament. James's second wife was Sarah (Taylor) who was buried on 17th April 1727. Two children, Sarah and James, had been baptised at the Abbey and buried soon afterwards. She left her estate to a nephew so presumably they had no surviving children.

Died

31st January 1711

Location

Cloisters; East Cloister

Material Type

Marble

James Broughton
Rebecca & James Broughton memorial

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2022 Dean and Chapter of Westminster