Lord Erroll of Hale

In the west window of the Lady Chapel at Westminster Abbey is the coat of arms of Lord Erroll of Hale (lower row of panels), engineer, who died in 2000. He was a Trustee of the fund raising committee concerned with the major restoration of the exterior of the Abbey and later of the Lady Chapel which ran from 1973 until 1995, when the window was unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II.

Frederick James Erroll was born on 27th May 1914 (his father had originally been called Bergmans and the family came from Holland). He was a Privy Councillor, Member of Parliament, President of the Board of Trade and Minister of Power as well as chairman of various companies including Bowater Corporation.


27th May 1914


Politician; engineer


Lady Chapel

Memorial Type


Material Type


Lord Erroll of Hale
Lord Erroll of Hale memorial

This image can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

Image © 2024 Dean and Chapter of Westminster