In St Margaret's Church Westminster on the north wall is a brass memorial tablet to Alfred Hipkins, pianist and writer on musical instruments. It was designed by Sir L. Alma-Tadema and made by H.C. Jones & Willis, being unveiled in 1905. The inscription reads:
In affectionate memory of Alfred James Hipkins, F.S.A. Born in Westminster June 17 1826; Died June 3 1903. "The path of the just is as the shining light that shineth more and more unto the perfect day". Erected by his friends in grateful recognition of his lifelong services to the art and science of music
He was the only son of James Hipkins and his wife Jane (Grant) and worked all his life at the Broadwood piano factory. He tuned pianos for eminent musicians such as Chopin when he was in England and gave recitals on his firm's pianos at the 1851 Great Exhibition. Among his books he wrote about Asian instruments. His wife was Jane Black and their daughter Edith was a portrait painter and son John was a wood engraver. Alfred is buried at Kensington Hanwell cemetery in Ealing.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004