The North Aisle
The windows in the north aisle were filled with coloured glass in the last quarter of the nineteenth century.
The window at the west end commemorates the poet John Milton (1608-74) who married his second wife at St Margaret's in 1656. In the centre of the window Milton is seen dictating Paradise Lost to his daughters; he is also shown as a schoolboy, and meeting Galileo at Florence in 1638. Other scenes in the window are taken from Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained. The window was the gift of George W. Childs of Philadelphia in 1888.
The monuments below the window include one to Captain Sir Peter Parker (1785-1814), commander of the frigate Menelaus, who died in action on the shores of the Chesapeake river. His body was brought back to St Margaret's for burial and this monument erected by his officers and crew. He was a cousin of the poet Lord Byron, and as a young lieutenant served briefly on Nelson's flagship Victory.
An oval memorial commemorates the Bohemian artist Wenceslaus Hollar (1607-77). He produced important engravings of London, including some of the earliest surviving depictions of Westminster Abbey. He is buried in the churchyard.
The oldest intact monument in St Margaret's is in this aisle. It commemorates Cornelius Van Dun (d. 1577), a native of Breda in the Netherlands, who served as a Yeoman of the Guard under four Tudor monarchs. The portrait bust shows Van Dun in his uniform and the inscription refers to the almshouses he built for twenty poor widows of the parish.
The two eastern-most windows in this aisle survive intact. The first, erected by public subscription in 1880, commemorates Admiral Robert Blake (1599-1657), one of England's great sailors, who fought for the Parliamentary side in the English Civil War. Blake was originally buried in Westminster Abbey, but soon after the Restoration he was reburied, with other Parliamentarians, in St Margaret's churchyard. The lower panels of the window depict Blake on board ship at Malaga; his body being brought by river for burial at Westminster Abbey; and his subsequent re-burial.
The final window commemorates Edward Ashurst Morris (d. 1890). The central Nativity scene is based on a painting by Boticelli in the National Gallery. Above it are dancing angels, and below are allegorical figures of Charity, Brotherly Love and Fortitude.
Since 1981 the east end of the aisle has formed the Chapel of Christ the Intercessor. The furnishings were the gift of Mr and Mrs John Elliott of New York City, who married at St Margaret's in 1956, to commemorate their silver wedding.