William IV and Queen Adelaide were crowned on 8 September 1831. The doors of the Abbey opened at 4am. At 10.15 the coronation procession left St James’ Palace, the King dressed in an admiral’s uniform and the Queen in a white and gold dress. For the first time a special lavishly furnished annexe had been built outside the west front of the Abbey to marshal the processions. The royal party arrived at 11am and the ceremony finished at 3pm. There was no coronation banquet as the King decided it was too expensive.