Sir Humphrey Stanley
On the floor of the chapel of St Nicholas in Westminster Abbey is a brass to Sir Humphrey Stanley, of Clifton and Pike in Staffordshire. It shows him in plate armour with sword but no helmet. At the top three shields of arms remain showing the arms of Stanley (argent, on a bend azure, three stags heads cabossed or) quartering Lathom, Stanley and Lathom quartering Stafford, Pypes and Camville, and the arms of Stafford. Two shields at the base are now blank. The Latin inscription can be translated:
"Here lies Humphrey Stanley, Knight, Esquire of the Body to the most excellent Prince Henry VII King of England, who died the 12th March A.D. 1505, on whose soul God have mercy. Amen"
He was the son of Sir John Stanley Knight of the Garter, and his wife Elizabeth and took part in the battle of Bosworth. After this he received a knighthood and was sheriff of the county of Stafford and knight of the body [or chamber] in the royal household. His son was John.The family derived their origin from the house of Audley who acquired the manor of Stanleigh or Stanley and the surname of Stanley was taken.
A photo of the brass can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.
Rubbings of brasses in the Abbey is not permitted.