Sir Gilbert Lort
Sir Gilbert Lort and his sister Dame Elizabeth Campbell are buried in the north transept of Westminster Abbey.
Sir Gilbert Lort
A standing monument to Sir Gilbert, by sculptor Edward Hurst, in the adjoining chapel of St John the Evangelist was greatly reduced and only the tablet now remains on the wall. Two cherubs from the monument are preserved in the Abbey precincts and the arms of Lort were shown - "per fess azure and gules, a cross or, an escutcheon of Ulster". The inscription reads:
"Sacred to the dear memory of her loving brother SR.GILBERT LORT of Stackpoole in the county of Pembrook [Pembroke], Bart.[Baronet] the onely son of Sr. JOHN LORT Bart. deceased, by the Right Honourable DAME SUSANNA one of the daughters of the Right Honourable John, Lord Holles late Earle of Clare, who changed this life for a better on the XIX day of September MDC XC VIII in the XXVIII year of his age. DAME ELIZABETH CAMPBELL widdow and relict of Sr. ALEXANDER CAMPBELL late of Calder in the Kingdom of Scotland Kt. hath dedicated this monument".
He succeeded as 3rd Baronet in 1673 and died unmarried so his titles became extinct and his estates passed to his sister. He was buried on 27 September 1698 and his grave is near to Gladstone's statue.
Dame Elizabeth Campbell
Below the Lort tablet is a small one which reads:
"Near this monument lyeth the said Dame ELIZABETH CAMPBELL. She dyed September ye 28th 1714 in the 49th year of her age".
She was the only daughter of Sir John Lort, 2nd Baronet and married Sir Alexander Campbell of Cawdor [called Calder on the memorial] Castle in Scotland. They had a son John, whose descendant was created Earl Cawdor. She was no doubt buried in this chapel to be near Susanna Lort's relation Horatio Vere. Her gravestone can still be read near Gladstone's statue and gives just her name and date of death. The coat of arms carved on it shows the quartered arms of Campbell of Calder, Campbell of Lockow, Lorn, Lucas and Lort.
A photo of the remaining tablet, and a photocopy of an engraving of Sir Gilbert's original monument, can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.