Hugh Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster
The stained glass in the south rose window of Westminster Abbey is a memorial to Hugh Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster. The glass painters were Messrs Burlison & Grylls, superintended by G.F.Bodley. The scheme was drawn up by M.R.James and the window dedicated on 26 September 1902. The thirty two figures in the outer circle represent the preparation of the world for Christ, including prophets. In the inner circle around the central figure of Christ are sixteen figures symbolic of the virtues and orders of angels. Twelve lancet windows below the rose represent leaders of the Greek and Latin church and Christian teachers of the British Isles. A small brass plate beneath the centre lancet reads:
"To the glory of God and to the memory of Hugh Lupus, 1st Duke of Westminster, K.G. Lord Lieutenant of the county of London and Lord High Steward of the City of Westminster, these windows are dedicated by many friends who loved the man and revered his character. Born 13th October 1825, died 22nd December 1899"
He was born at Eaton Hall in Cheshire, a son of Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster and his wife Elizabeth (Leveson-Gower). He entered Parliament as Earl Grosvenor and married his cousin Lady Constance Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, who was a friend of Queen Victoria. Eight of their children survived infancy. He enjoyed racing and shooting and owned a great deal of property in London. He was created Duke of Westminster in 1874. His second wife was Katherine Cavendish and they had four children. He was buried at Eccleston in Cheshire.
A photo of the window can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.
"Victorian duke, the life of Hugh Lupus Grosvenor, 1st Duke of Westminster" by G.Huxley, 1967.
Gerald, 6th Duke of Westminster was a benefactor to the restoration of the Lady Chapel and a small window was erected there.
Click on the images to enlarge