History

Edward Lear

History

A memorial stone to Edward Lear, writer, artist and ornithologist, was unveiled in Poets' Corner Westminster Abbey on 6 June 1988 by Sir Hugh Casson. It adjoins memorials to Anthony Trollope and D.H.Lawrence. The insert of the profile of Lear is in brown on a white circular background. The inscription reads:

"EDWARD LEAR 1812-1888 Painter and Poet Buried in San Remo"

He was born in May 1812 in London, a son of Jeremiah Lear and his wife Ann (Skerrett). Educated at home by his sisters he then became an artist and his first illustrations were in a book about birds. Later he lived in Rome and turned to landscape painting. In 1846 he published A Book of Nonsense. His is best known today for his limericks and nonsense poems such as The Owl and the Pussy-Cat. He was a resident of San Remo and died there 29 January 1888.

A photo of the memorial can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.

A bi-centenary wreath laying was held in the Abbey on 12 May 2012

Further reading:

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004