On the wall of the west cloister of Westminster Abbey is a memorial to the Czechoslovak forces who served in the Second World War. The bronze plaque was designed by Franta Belsky and was unveiled by the Marquess of Cholmondeley. The inscription is flanked on either side by tree trunks and at the top is the armorial shield of Czechoslovakia with the motto 'Veritas Vincit'. The inscription reads:
"To the memory of all members of the Czechoslovak Army and Air Force who came as allies to this country and died in its defence and for the liberation of Europe 1940-1945. Unveiled on the 28 October 1993 on the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Czechoslovak Republic".
After the fall of France in 1940 the Czech infantry forces and fighter pilots came to England to continue the fight, being picked up with allied troops from various Mediterranean ports. Czechoslovak fighter squadrons were incorporated into the Royal Air Force and the troops had a camp in Cheshire and were re-organised into an Independent Mixed Brigade. Throughout the war the Brigade was a source of volunteers for Special Operation Executive operations in occupied Europe.
The Battle of Britain memorial window in the RAF chapel in Westminster Abbey depicts the furled flag of Czechoslovakia and the twenty pilots from the country lost during that conflict in 1940 are remembered in the Roll of Honour.
A photo of the memorial can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.