James O'Donnell is Organist and Master of the Choristers of Westminster Abbey. Internationally recognised as a conductor and organ recitalist, he has given concerts all over the world and appeared as organ soloist in the BBC Proms and at many other festivals.
James O'Donnell was a junior exhibitioner at the Royal College of Music and subsequently Organ Scholar of Jesus College, Cambridge, where he read music and studied the organ with Peter Hurford, Nicolas Kynaston and David Sanger. He was appointed first Assistant Master of Music and, six years later, Master of Music at Westminster Cathedral. During his twelve-year tenure as Master of Music, the Choir of Westminster Cathedral became one of the most highly regarded choirs in the world, winning many plaudits, including the Gramophone 'Record of the Year' award and the Royal Philharmonic Society award (1999), both of which were unprecedented for a cathedral choir.
In January 2000 James O'Donnell was appointed Organist and Master of the Choristers at Westminster Abbey. In addition to a full schedule of daily choral services, his responsibilities have recently included directing the music for a service in the presence of Pope Benedict XVI in 2010 and the Wedding of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in April 2011. Alongside his responsibilities at the Abbey, James O'Donnell has worked widely as soloist and director with many of the country's leading orchestras and ensembles.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Fantasie für eine Orgelwalze K 608
Johann Sebastian Bach – Three chorale preludes BWV 669–671
Felix Mendelssohn – Sonata in F minor Op 65 No 1
Max Reger – Fantasia on the chorale Hallelujah! Gott zu loben bleibe meine Seelenfreud
Entry is through the Great West Door from 6.30 pm.
Concerts last approximately 70 minutes with no interval.
All seats are unreserved.
Single tickets £12.00 (concessions £8.00)
Season tickets £48.00 (concessions £32.00)
Online: St John's Smith Square
Telephone: 020 7222 1061 (Mon–Sat, 10.00 am–5.00 pm)
In person: The Box Office, St John's, Smith Square, London SW1P 3HA
Booking fees apply: £1.50 online and £2.00 by telephone
Concessions apply to children, full-time students, disabled and senior citizens, and members of the Royal College of Organists (on presentation of membership card).
Tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded.
Special offer for Abbey visitors and Association members: 25% off with a visitor admission ticket or membership card.
Terms & Conditions
- 25% discount on Summer Organ Festival tickets when presenting a valid Westminster Abbey visitor admission ticket or Association membership card
- Discount available on all ticket types:
- Single ticket: £12 (£9 after discount)
- Concession: £8 (£6 after discount)
- Season ticket: £48 (£36 after discount)
- Concession season ticket: £32 (£24 after discount)
- Up to two tickets at the discounted price are available with every valid Abbey ticket or membership card.
- Tickets are available from Westminster Abbey Shop, the Box Office, St John's Smith Square (personal callers only), and on the door.
- Abbey admission tickets must be dated between 9th July and 9th August inclusive, and must be surrendered at time of booking.
- This promotion is not valid for use in conjunction with any other offer or discount, and cannot be booked online or by phone.
- The promotion begins on 9th July and ends on 9th August 2016.